Time & Talent - Volunteer
Click here to apply online
Click here to download a PDF volunteer application
- Class Instructor (Family Life Skills; Employment Series, other)…Teach a class at our HOME Academy.
- Tutor adults who are working to get GED, certification, or a degree…Assist them with homework, studying, computer skills.
- Work individually with adults to learn basic computer skills. We have an onsite computer lab. Could have weekly office hours for computer assistance.
- Assist clients in cooking dinner for our families. Help adults learn new skills by working with them to get the shelter dinner on the table.
- Teach homemaking skills. Instruct individuals, giving them a skill they can use forever.
- Teach program families how to weatherize their homes. Help them save on utility bills!
- Lead families in working in the garden.
- Connect one of our work-ready residents with a job at your workplace!
- Work individually with adults in need of help with job-readiness skills…resume writing, online applications, practice interviewing.
Family/Individual Development and Enrichment
- Motivational Speaking …Give others hope by telling your story.
- Mentor an adult in our programs…Be a friend, a listening ear, to a parent in one of our programs. Training provided.
- Teach organization skills to heads of households…Model chaos-free living by helping provide order and daily life skills.
Youth Services/Child Care
- Assist with after-school tutoring program for children…We provide tutoring on school days from 4:30-5:30, Mondays-Thursdays.
- Assist with weekly coping skill development groups for children of a specific age group.
- Provide children’s supervision and activities for 1-2 hours weekly during classes.
- Assist with driving and supervision on outings into the community for school-aged youth.
- Provide children’s supervision and activities for occasional special events.
- Provide and serve lunch for group/volunteer trainings…Occasional all-day events require lunch breaks!
- Work front desk of shelter…answer doors, phones, questions…greet visitors, take messages, write in log.
- Assistant to Academy Instructors…Help instructor of an Academy class by making copies, preparing materials, etc.
- Coordinate volunteers for a particular area, such as the garden, donation center, Vincent Store, etc.
- Help unpack and organize donations in our “barn”…Keep linens, dishes, household items in order for easy access.
- Thoroughly clean general areas of shelter and offices…areas that are difficult to get to when the shelter is full.
- Clean houses between tenants’ move-outs/ins…general overall cleaning including removal of anything left behind, floors, appliances, walls.
- Thoroughly clean interior and exterior of all VV, Inc. company vehicles.
- Do yard work/landscaping on Vincent House campus…Help us keep the outdoor area in top shape!
- Provide minor home repairs in Village houses…ongoing repairs are needed while families are permanently housed.
- Assist with remodeling projects…Our village is constantly growing and expanding!
- Provide electrical, plumbing or carpentry repairs…in both the shelter, administrative buildings, and Village houses.
- Provide simple auto repairs/maintenance for clients…Assist program participants with oil changes, tire repairs, preventive maintenance.
- Assist with painting of Village houses (interior or exterior).
- Assist program families with raking/shoveling.
- Pastoral Care.
- Provide haircuts/nail care/massages for clients…Encourage self-care while providing needed nurturing.
- Lead an exercise class, such as group walking, yoga.
- Medical Doctor or Nurse to monitor clients’ health needs…Help families discern common minor illnesses from true emergencies.
- Plan and hold celebrations for housewarmings…When a family moves from shelter to their own home, help us celebrate!
- Plan and hold holiday celebrations for families in shelter.
- Plan and implement outdoor family activities/team sports at nearby parks.
- Come to shelter for social events with families (movie night, game night, etc.)…Involve your families with ours!
- Invite families to free holiday concerts, plays, etc. at your church…We all need to be part of a community.
- Treat families to a fine dining experience for a special occasion.
Adopt a House
- Help clean up and do basic painting and landscaping in order to make a home ready for a familily. If your church group or company would like to help install carpet, tile and do other more detailed home repair Scott Summers our Facilities Manager would be glad to talk to you about homes that might be available.
- Contact Volunteer Coordinator - Jamie Martin - email- email@example.com, or phone- 260-456-4172 x106, to sign up for training.